The Parliamentary Liaison Office of the Southern African Catholic Bishops’ Conference (SACBC) is the official vehicle for contact and dialogue between the Catholic Church in South Africa on the one hand, and the country’s Parliament and government on the other. It provides an avenue for the Church – as part of civil society – to contribute to debates on issues of public policy, to exert an influence for the common good in areas of political, economic and social concern, and to help shape legislative and policy developments.
- BP 452: Raising VAT – Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea? According to a March 2018 World Bank report,1 South Africa is ‘one of the most unequal countries in the world, and that inequality has increased since the end of Apartheid in 1994’.
- Refugees Digest 26 This Digest, while covering several general topical issues in this sector, also takes a closer look at some current policy issues which have a bearing on discussions in different parts of the world. Issues such as re-settlement, family reunification and the gender dimensions of migration are underlined.
- Newsletter Volume 33 The first Roundtable of 2018 was addressed by three speakers: Adv Thuli Madonsela, former Public Protector and now Professor of Social Justice at Stellenbosch University; Mr John Jeffery, the Deputy-Minister of Justice and Constitutional Development; and Professor Pierre de Vos, Professor of Constitutional Governance at the University of Cape Town.
- BP 451: The First Thousand Days and the Failure to Thrive From the moment of conception the developing child is vulnerable to the effects of substance abuse; to poor maternal nutrition; and to poverty and inter-personal violence.
Upcoming & Recent Events
- The 2018 Budget: Process, Priorities and Implementation, 16 May 2018 The dialogue has been initiated by Ms Yvonne Phosa MP, Chairperson of the Standing Committee on Appropriations, and will be attended by her and other members of the Committee. It represents an opportunity for civil society organisations to engage with the Members of Parliament who have direct oversight over the expenditure side of the Budget, ...
- Just Energy Transition, 25 April 2018 Following a Roundtable Discussion on Just Energy Transition: Renewable Energy Jobs that was held in October 2017, CPLO and Project 90×2030 continuously join efforts with an objective of building momentum on this topic. Amongst the speakers at this latest Roundtable, were Dr Neil Overy a freelance researcher; Ms Karien Erasmus of Promethium and Mr Thabo ...
- Public Lecture, 23 April 2018 Dr Jan Jans of Tilburg University, addressed a public lecture in Rondebosch on the evolution of recent church teaching on sexuality. By exploring key sections in Humanae Vitae and comparing them with key sections in Amoris Laetitcia, he outlined key areas of continuity and change in the teachings. He pointed out that the findings of ...
- JNB Roundtable: Migrant Children and the Right to Education, 23 March 2018 Held in Johannesburg at the Sacred Heart College, this Roundtable attracted more than 90 people, representing a cross section of stakeholders including the migrant community, educators, legal practitioners and an array of civil society groups working in the field of displaced persons. The event was co-hosted with Three2Six, a project of Sacred Heart College which ...